Wondering how to make your hair shine? Follow these 5 tips for naturally shinier, healthier hair.
It’s no wonder we all strive to have shiny hair: it’s beautiful to look at, a joy to touch, AND often a sign of good health! There are products that can help you get shinier hair temporarily, but many include harsh products that end up stripping and/or drying your lovely locks over time.
Save yourself all that trouble and expense by following these natural hair care tips that blend the latest science, with the time-tested principles of Ayurveda.
MAKE YOUR HAIR SHINE, NATURALLY
Most of us don’t need to shampoo daily, unless we’re perspiring heavily, or engaged in activities that expose us to a lot of dirt or oil. Often a freshening rinse, and conditioner on the hair shaft (avoiding the scalp), between washings is enough. And when you do wash your hair, be sure to use cool water, especially to rinse.
Skip the chemicals and heat
As much as possible, avoid any harsh chemicals or excessive heat styling. It can be tempting to have a “grass is greener” mindset: wishing we had curly hair when ours is straight, or thinner hair when ours tends to be too thick to style. But each of us is beautiful exactly as we’re made—there’s no one on the planet just like you!
The key to true beauty is to bring out your unique features and make the most of them. Often the trouble starts with a mismatch in your stylist: it’s important to work with someone who knows how to cut and style your type of hair.
A good stylist will be able to help you find a style that highlight your face, and expresses your personality, while cutting your hair in a way that helps it bounce with good health.
Release more stress!
Some stress is natural, but the hormones that are activated as we gather ourselves to respond can have a negative impact on our bodies, including our hair. Finding the wellness rituals that make us feel safe, relaxed, and nourished can help dissipate the residue that stress leaves. You might try:
- walking and/or exercise we enjoy;
- quiet time where you can relax—this could be with a good book, restful music, an uplifting friend, a relaxing bath, massage, or meditation;
- creative pursuits and hobbies;
- time in nature resets our body rhythms.
Nourish from the inside out
Ensure you’re eating a nutrient rich diet including omega-3s, antioxidants, and healthy oils, and drinking plenty of water. A vitamin supplement may be an option (consult with your physician) and/or incorporate some of the healthful foods that are rich in these nutrients to help make your hair shine:
- kidney beans
- canola oil.
And nourish from the outside in
- Moringa oil is packed with omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, and Vitamins E and A. Derived from the Moringa tree, (many in India call it “the Miracle Tree”), it helps lubricate and detangle, while moisturizing and protecting both hair and scalp. We find it a good choice for those with color-treated hair, too.
- Rice bran oil is rich in Omega-6 fatty acids, ceramides and Vitamin E. This power-packed combination helps make the hair shaft plump and more manageable, and protects against free radicals and UV damage. A side benefit is that it soothes the scalp, which can reduce itchiness and scratching that can damage hair follicles.
- Camellia oil has a long history of helping hair that tends to be frizzy, partly because its composition is most similar to the body’s natural oils. Camellia oil brings the omega-9 fatty acids, and can help make your hair shine and look smoother while protecting against damage from sun and heat styling.
As you may have guessed: the best way to make your hair shine—and keep it that way—is to care for yourself from the inside out! Choosing natural, gentle products to care for your hair (like those we hand-craft for you here at Srida Herbals), will also help ensure nothing takes away from the good health you’re creating. Do you have questions about hair care? Let us know!